Helvetas Bangladesh is part of a network of independent development organizations. With head offices in Switzerland, Germany and the USA, Helvetas is working in 29 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America and Eastern Europe. We bring about real change in the lives of over three million disadvantaged people every year. We implement development projects in the areas of water and sanitation, agriculture and nutrition, education, economic development, democracy and peace, and climate and the environment. Helvetas also provides emergency response after disasters.
Our vision is of a just world in which all men and women determine the course of their lives in dignity and security, using environmental resources in a sustainable manner.
- We support poor and disadvantaged women, men and communities in developing and transition countries in their efforts to improve their living conditions.
- Through development cooperation, we support women and men in improving their livelihoods themselves in a sustainable manner.
- We promote equitable access to the resources and services necessary for life and thus contribute to overcoming the root causes of poverty.
- We uphold the protection and promotion of social, economic, political, environmental and cultural rights and responsibilities, and seek to ensure their practical implementation.
- We support our partners in engaging in development policy issues.
- We advocate for a coherent Swiss foreign and economic policy, responsive to the needs of men and women in developing and transition countries.
- We accompany and support our partners on a long-term basis.
Our fundamental values
- Our engagement is based on solidarity and partnership.
- We work towards achieving human rights and upholding the principle of self-determined development.
- We are committed to social equity and strive for equal opportunities for men and women regardless of age, origin, language, religion, culture or political convictions.
- Our collaboration with our partners is based on mutual respect for cultural values and principles.
- We stand for development that balances economic viability, environmental appropriateness and social benefits.